Case Study #1: Measuring with No Control Group
Isolating the Impact of New Skills on Win-Rate at a Professional Services Firm
This client trained their entire population over a short period of time, so we did not have a "control group" of untrained people as a basis of comparison. Instead we calculated the Definite Difference™ made by the skills using Beyond ROI's proprietary Hi/Lo Comparison™ of win-rate.
- Business Goals: renew 90% of service contracts, sell additional services, develop more executive-level relationships
- Performance Challenges: stuck in the purchasing department, selling on price not value, the competition is cheaper, poor differentiation of services
- Improved win-rate pre/post the training (compare Graph 1 and 2)
- 20% more deals are won by "high appliers" than "low appliers" of the skills (Graph 2)
- 8.3% pre/post increase in win-rate for "low appliers"
- 29.1% pre/post increase in win-rate for "high appliers"
Graph 1: Win-Rate Before
Graph 2: Win-Rate After
Custom SmartTrac Surveys™ type web surveys were created to track both application and ability.
- Training: a three-day consultative sales skills training program
- Time frame: four months pre-training and three months post-training
- Key measures: 8 skills, reinforcement activities, manager coaching, SmartTrac Surveys™ Success Stories, and requests for support
The Definite Difference™ of skill application was calculated using performance data supplied by the client in a Hi/Lo Comparison™ of win-rate.
- Time frame: 7 months
- Data: win/loss reports from the CRM system and composite skill application scores
- Statistical Significance Testing: results showed “very high significance” where the critical value of a one-tailed test was T = 5.4599, p < .001